Clinical Myotherapy – More than massage.
Clinical Myotherapy is more than massage. You may be keen to come to us for a massage, which is absolutely fine but rest assured we have other tools in our kit to get you even better results!
All our staff here at Waverley Myotherapy are degree qualified to bring you the best of care. We learn in depth about how to properly assess your joint, muscle and nerve complaints as well as how to treat them using massage, dry needling (musculoskeletal acupuncture), myofascial cupping, movement therapy and more.
Furthermore, Clinical Myotherapy uses a ‘client-centered approach’ model which means we work with you to help your musculoskeletal pain or complaint. We’ll explain to you what we find in the assessment, we’ll talk to you about various treatment options and we’ll discuss management options making sure it fits in with your lifestyle and that you are on board with everything.
What are the Benefits of Myotherapy?
- Myotherapy identifies the source of the problem and provides lasting relief from pain
- It Increases movement and flexibility
- It increases strength and function
- Drug free pain relief means less toxins going in to your system and less risk of becoming addicted or reliant on pain medication
- Cost effective – acute conditions are generally alleviated after only a few visits
- Only pay the gap with HICAPs for approved private health fund providers
What Conditions does Myotherapy Treat?
Clinical Myotherapy can help with many musculoskeletal pains and complaints whether they are caused by trauma, poor posture, overuse or misuse during occupational, sporting or recreational activities.
Most people that come to us have one of the following:
- Tight muscles from gym, boot-camp or sport
- Torn muscle
- Torn tendon acute or chronic (grade 1-2)
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
- Poor posture from computer work
- Overuse injury from computer work
- Sporting and recreational activity injuries
- Disc Bulge
- Facet joint irritation
- Sciatica and other pinched nerves in the neck and back
- Scoliosis and Kyphosis of the spine
- Knee pain or clicking
- Ankle pain or clicking
- Hip pain or clicking
- Groin pain
- Wrist pain
- Tennis and Golfers elbow
- Shoulder dysfunction or pain
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Pregnancy associated pain such as SIJ pain
- and much more…
What are the Treatment Options?
We have a wide range of treatment options to allow us to find something that works both on the particular condition and also for you as a individual. For example dry needling can be extremely effective but some people have a fear or apprehension towards the use of needling so we can treat the problem in a different way. Furthermore latest research indicates that movement and education about pain to be extremely beneficial for long term recovery, these things aren’t really a modality but they do play a big role in our management.
We may use
- Digital Ischemic Pressure (DIP) more commonly known as pressure point release
- Dry-Needling also known as myofascial acupuncture
- Electro-needling is where we attach small electrodes to the needles
- Hot and Cold packs
- Exercises that may be performed in the session, after the session or given as a management program. Sometimes the exercises are performed by the practitioner for example passive stretches and other times they are performed actively by you.
- Joint play also known as mobilisation to gently loosen a joint
- Active cupping for the purpose of myofascial release. Active cupping is achieved my movement of either the cup or the body part.
- Ice massage
- McKenzie Technique: A relative new technique developed by a Physiotherapist from New Zealand to help with pain relating to the nervous system
- Taping with Rock tape (kinesiotape) or Rigid tape to support a joint, assist muscle and fascia recovery and for pain relief where other techniques are contraindicated
Can I use Private Health Insurance?
Short answer, Yes. Long answer? You need to check with your private health insurer if your cover allows rebates for Myotherapy. All practitioners at WMC are covered for rebates and we conveniently have HICAPs so you will only have to pay the gap. Please note that some providers rebate within another category such as Natural Therapies or Remedial Massage. Please also check your annual limits.
Products we stock to help your recovery
- Body Back Buddy
- Step Forward Orthotic
- Ancient Minerals Topical Magnesium
- Therapeutic Pillows
- Archies Thongs
- Various Self Myofascial Release Tools
- PilatesBall (also known as ChiBall)
- Graded Resistance Bands
- Tape (stretchy and rigid tape available)
Have a Myotherapy related question? Book a complimentary phone consult with one of our team.
Simply fill in the form below and we will contact you shortly, please let us know if there is a best contact method or day and time you would like us to call. Alternatively and for phone bookings please call reception on (03) 98883473.