I love coffee! Unfortunate downside of coffee and other foods such as red wine and dark chocolate to name a few is that they can leave your teeth looking less than pearly white. This is how I got onto this recipe. I knew that charcoal and bicarb were good teeth whiteners so I thought why not add them together! I don’t know why but my teeth also feel smoother and cleaner from using this, give it a go as a powder with you’re regular toothpaste first to see if you like the feel and the results then you can add the other ingredients to turn it into a paste. Each batch should last about a week.
- 1 tsp of Baking soda (I use Bob’s Red Mill because it’s aluminium free)
- 1 tsp of Activated Charcoal powder or capsules
- 2 tsps of Coconut Oil melted
- 1/2 tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar (I use Bragg’s with the mother)
- 6 drops of Peppermint Oil (I use DoTerra)
- To trial the toothpaste add the baking soda and the activated charcoal to a shallow container so that it’s easy to dip your toothbrush in.
- When you have your regular toothpaste on your brush dip it in the mixture before brushing your teeth.
- Once you have decided you love it add the rest of the ingredients and mix with a teaspoon or something smaller so it doesn’t go everywhere. (It’s kind of a mash and repeat process.)
- It does make the bowl a bit messy so you can either spit into a bin or what I do is just run the water as I spit so it goes straight down the plug hole.
- Make sure you give your mouth a good rinse afterwards as well. You could use your normal mouth wash, water, peppermint tea or a homemade mouth wash to bring it all together! Maybe I’ll try that next!
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me or google the hell out it! Just a FYI, if you have a diet high in sugar it’s probably best to stick to fluoride based toothpastes however this is something best talked about with your dentist. Did you know there are holistic dentists now?